Report of the Chief Executive and Corporate Management Team
Consideration has been given to recommending to Council the proposed Budget and Council Tax Level for 2021/22 and the prudential indicators and Minimum Revenue Provision (MRP) Statement as set out in the report.
RESOLVED - That the following recommendations be made to theCouncil:
(1) That Gateshead’s BandD council tax for 2021/22 is increased by 4.99% (including a 3% adult social care Government Charge) to £1,914.92.
(2) The revenue estimates of£238.758 million for 2021/22 are approved.
(3) The extension of a council tax hardship scheme into 2021/22 using £2.779 million of support grant as set out in the report.
(4) The budgeted use of £29.106 million Earmarked Reserves in 2021/22 be approved (includes £26.564 million ringfenced covid support to retained business rates).
(5) That the indicativeschools funding presented in appendix 2be agreed.
(6) To note the conclusions of theStrategic Director, Resources and Digital inrespect of therobustness of estimates and adequacy of reserves.
(7) That the Prudential and Treasury Indicators set out in appendix 6to this report beagreed.
(8) That the method of calculating the Minimum Revenue Provision(MRP) for 2021/22 as set out in appendix 7be approved.
(9) That the initial proposed areas of priority investment and savings included in the budget in appendix 2 be agreed with further specific consultation and reporting to Cabinet to take place throughout the year as required.
(10) That the outcome of initial budget consultation outlined in appendix 3 be noted.
(11) That it be noted that at its meeting on 19January 2021, Cabinet calculated the following amounts for the year 2021/22 in accordancewith regulationsmade under Section 31B(3) of the Local GovernmentFinance Act 1992 asamended by the LocalismAct 2011:-
(a) 52,483.9 being the amount calculated by the Council, in accordancewith regulation3 of the Local Authorities (Calculation ofCouncil Tax Base) (England) Regulations 2012, as its Council Tax base for theyear;
(b) 1,198.4 for Lamesley Parish being the amount calculated by theCouncil, in accordance with regulation6 of theRegulations, as the amount ofits Council Tax base for the year for dwellings inthose partsof its areato whichspecial items relate.
(12) That the following amounts be now calculated by theCouncil for the year 2021/2 inaccordance with Sections 31A,31Band 34to 36 of the Local Government Finance Act1992, as amended by the Localism Act 2011(‘the Act’): -
(a) £604,606,039 being theaggregate total of theexpenditure amounts, whichthe Council estimates for the items, set out inSection 31A(2) ofthe Act taking into account theprecept issued by Lamesley ParishCouncil
(b) (£504,901,243) being the aggregatetotal of the incomeamounts, whichthe Council estimate for the items, set out in Section 31A(3) ofthe Act
(c) £100,514,796 being the amount by whichthe aggregateat (a) above exceeds theaggregate at (b) above, calculatedby the Council, inaccordance withSection 31A(4) of theAct, as its Council Tax requirement for theyear including Lamesley ParishCouncil
(d) £1,915.1549 being the amount at (c) above, all dividedby the amountat (11)(a) above, calculated by the Council, in accordance withSection 31B(1) of theAct, as the basic amount of its Council Tax for theyear including Lamesley Parish Council
(e) £12,105.00 being theaggregate amount of all special items (LamesleyParish Council) referredto inSection 34(1) of the Act
(f) £1,914.9243 being the amount at (d) less theresult given by dividingthe amount at (e) above by the amount at (11)(a) above, calculated bythe Council, in accordancewith Section34(2) of theAct, as the basicamount of its Council Tax for theyear for dwellings in those parts ofits area towhich no special item(Lamesley ParishCouncil) relates
£1,925.0253being the amounts given by adding tothe amount at (f)above theamounts of the special item or items relating to dwellings inthose parts of theCouncil’s area mentioned above dividedin each caseby the amount at (11)(b) above, calculatedby the Council, inaccordance withSection 34(3) of theAct, as the basic amounts of itsCouncil Tax for the year for dwellings inthose parts ofits area to whichone or more special items (Lamesley ParishCouncil) relate.
being the amounts givenby multiplying the amounts at (f) and(g) above by thenumber which, in theproportion set out in Section 5(1) of the Act,is applicable to dwellings listedin a particular valuationband divided by the number whichin thatproportion is applicable to dwellings listedin valuationband D, calculated by the Council, inaccordance withSection 36(1) of theAct, as the amounts to be taken into account for the year inrespect of categories of dwellings listedin different valuation bands.
(13) That it be noted that for the year 2021/22, the Policeand CrimeCommissioner for Northumbria, and Tyne and Wear Fire andRescue Authority havestated the following amounts in precepts issued to theCouncil, in accordance with Section 40 ofthe Local Government Finance Act 1992, for each of thecategories of dwellings shownbelow: -
(14) That, having calculated the aggregatein eachcase of the amounts at (12)(h) and (13) above, theCouncil in accordancewith Section 30(2) of the LocalGovernment Finance Act 1992, hereby sets the following amounts as theamounts of Council Tax for theyear 2021/22 for each of thecategories of dwellings shownbelow: -
(15) That under section52ZB ofthe Local Government Finance Act 1992 (as amended by theLocalism Act 2011), theCouncil’s relevant basic amount of council tax for 2021/22 is not excessive in accordancewith the principlesdetermined under section52ZC of the Act.
The above decisions have been made to fulfil theCouncil’s statutory duty to set the Budget and Council Tax for 2021/22.